Wednesday, April 05, 2017

navratri yog class.

Completed the 9 days of navratri yoga class today.

Wasnt easy to leave at 6 in the morning as I had hoped. s woke up at all hours like, 4 , 5, 6 on all days except today. But somehow managed, although p had a tough time.

I liked the few classical poses, short and nothing fancy, and the following chanting. For someone who always hated all the chanting and temple nonsense , thats a strange thing to say. I guess partly because I stopped trying to 'believe' or argue with the belief , in a literal shiva or durga 'god'. I  let it be more like a way of centering/meditation. Like I am not 'praying' to a literal 3 eyed god sitting in a cave, asking for immortality, but just using the mantra to center my own thoughts. Using the group energy and the discipline of a schedule , since I can't muster up the self motivation to do it on my own.

And a huge part of course was that p himself was taking the class, it makes a very big  difference. I don't think I would have made the effort if it had been any other teacher. Why exactly ? Thats harder to answer. His own ethos is quite traditional and  firmly rooted in things that I have a hard time believing in. But there's something about the way he says things, without seeming to force it down, which makes it very accessible.

The post class food that different people brought was a lovely touch. Tasted a lot of things for the first time. In general, hunger , cravings and food consumption has reduced drastically, probably a combination of the weather, general attempts at healthier, smaller meals, and probably my annual episodic lack of hunger. One good thing is that sugar cravings have not only gone, but I find excessive sugar distasteful now! Mixed feelings on that one.

Would I be able to keep up with the personal sadhna going forward? I hope so. I never completed the 50 hours of solitary yog that we were supposed to do. Will try that.






No comments: