Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Autobiography of a yogi - Paramhansa Yoganand

interesting read.

Not my usual fare, considering my staunch atheist outlook and general skeptical views about 'god' so to speak. But one of the fallouts of the yoga course, was some eclectic additions to my reading list. So this book has apparently been a bestseller in western markets for years, and after reading it, one can see the appeal. The style of writing isn't much to write home about.  But the book boasts a long list of miracles, and conscious efforts to keep in mind readers of religions other than hinduism, specially christianity.

How much of these miracles do I believe? Not sure really. I have long been interested in stuff beyond the reaches of current science, but whenever someone hard sells a miracle, I balk. I guess one of the things I loved about my yoga course, was the constant urge to be conscious, to experience, rather than a ramming down of ' these are the chakras , and you'd better mug it up right, cause they have been handed down through the millennia, and no questions asked' . Coming back to the book, I'd say I disbelieve it more than I believe it, but interesting reading non-the-less.

But enough about miracles for now, shall stick to more believable fare for a while!

3 comments:

Niranjan said...

Wonder what your comments are about The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda and likes of those books :)

Tess said...

haven't read that yet, maybe one of these days! would you recommend it ? :)

Niranjan said...

Not sure. That book is more a compilation of Swami ji's lectures, discourses and letters over a period of time explaining the Hindu religion (and the concept of religion in general) to the western world some 100+ years ago. Though looking at the current state of awareness amongst Hindus in India, we could also be the target audience easily. The Westerners who are so good at cataloging and recording stuff have done a great job in sequencing the works and of course aided by the monks of Sri Ramakrishna Mission, who have a methodical approach towards the study of the Hindu philosophy. Frankly, at times some chapters becomes too complex for me to understand.