Friday, August 23, 2013

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

A delightfully heart- warming book. Thanks m for the reco!

Its set in the 40s, with the war just over, and people still reeling from its after affects. Its written in the form of letters that are exchanged, between a writer in London, and various people in her life.  These include a publisher, a school friend, her not-quite-fiance, and most importantly a group of people who were members of a literary society from Guernsey, which was an island occupied by the Germans during the war.

I loved the general tone of the book, letters written with humor and passion. Some familiar, some formal. Tangentially touching so much that we mull about in life, about love and passion, and war, and god, of right and wrong... and of course, of books and authors. I loved the constant references to books and their authors, almost as if they were family members, and living breathing things, rather than some academic mind improvement exercise.

Since I read this one for our up-coming book -discussion, I did something I'd not done in a long while.. I actually jotted down words and page numbers that struck a chord.. something that I used to do back in school, but hadn't done in a long while. It was strangely satisfying to  reread the passages, to smile and ponder.

Here's one that definitely stuck a chord.

' I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect reader. How delightful if that were true.'







2 comments:

...:M e d h a:... said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I would like to think that all things eventually come home, to the one perfect place where they belong.

Tess said...

Thats such a lovely thought! And thanks again for this reco..