Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Gangs of Wasseypur - 2 - Anurag Kashyap

The steady refrain in the movie is frustiyao nai moora.. but i have to confess the movie did frustrate me, refrain notwithstanding.

It sort of continues in the same vein as the first half, saga continuing with the son, although he's a different sort from his dad. Honestly I don't know what to summarise the plot as, I'd forgotten half the names and characters from the first half anyway. When the story kicks off, the father has died, and the son takes on the bloody mantle. Much killing happens. I'm not quite sure who's killing whom, and why. I'm not sure I understand the characterisations. Suffice to say , after much frustration, and pointless shooting, the movie finally ended, and i was rather relieved.

Like the first one, this one has its moments of brilliance, isolated sequences which are pretty good, but as a whole, for me, the movie just doesn't string together. And this time, I can't even say that its because I went in with too many expectations, I didn't. I was prepared for the violence, I was prepared for the non-sensical ( or is it absent ?) plot. I wasn't prepared for the repeated mistakes of parading far too many people on the screen with no characterisation, and for the rather pointless violence. Reminds me of natural born killers.

In some ways I feel really really disappointed that so many of those brilliant sequences didn't find place in a more coherent and tight movie.

Anyway, perhaps its still worth a watch , for sequences in isolation, but the overall have to say I liked it even less than the first one. 

No comments: