Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Gangs of Wasseypur - Anurag Kashyap

Have to report mixed feeling on this one, mostly because of the pre- conceived notions with which I went in to watch it.

The trailer of this one, like the trailer of Dabangg , hadn't impressed me. Too much silly type dhishum dhishum, not much to mull over. But thats where the similarity ended. I went in to watch Dabang, quite prepared to hate it, so I was pretty surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and how a regular 'masala' movie could be well crafted.

Unfortunately, for this one, what with a couple of good reviews, and the general back-drop of it being a true story ( more or less), and given Kashyap's history of incisive thought provoking cinema ( think Dev D, gulaal, Black Friday), I actually went in expecting something more.

My mistake that one. The movie as far as I' can see, is just like Dabang. Good ranchy fun, not too much to the story, but mostly ok paced, keeps things going. Good acting, lots of double entendre stuff, hummable songs, couple of well shot scenes, and absolutely nothing to mull over later.

As for the Indian godfather tag - I really don't think so. Any multi generational bloody feud saga doesn't automatically become a god father, and although I'm not a big fan of godfather, I have to grant Coppola this - its thought provoking. Something which Gangs of Wasseypur is absolutely not.

Considering just how many characters keep romping in and out, and the fact that the good parts were more like separate sequences which were good in isolation, I really wonder, if this wouldn't have made a better tv series than a movie.

Anyway, all said and done, it can be watched and maybe even enjoyed, but I really won't put it in the same league as the crop of really good movies we've seen in the last 5 years, many from Kashyap's own camp.

No comments: