Friday, October 21, 2011

Greed.

Was reminded of it today, after we got the raw end of one of the 'normal' practices.

What makes a lot of these 'normal' practices, normal? When you try to analyse them logically, there's nothing normal about them.

Registering flats at circle rates. Overreporting your HRA and medical bills. Charging 10 months advance deposit for houses, giving no interest, and then cutting it for frivolous things at the end. Demanding your gratuity, but cribbing if your maid asks for it. Wondering why your plumber is so shameless as to charge you for 3 taps while fixing only 2, but being perfectly ok with sneaking off property from the company you work for. Buying pirated DVDs of your favourite director from the street for 30 bucks, and ( hold your breath) , trying to return even that to a different street vendor so that you can save those 30 bucks.

Yes each and every one of these instances is 'us'. We the people. People I know personally. Friends and family. No, not even acquaintences, each one of these instances were from my friends.

So, why the double standards? Every person tries to maximise his or her greed. There is nothing that gives us a higher moral ground than the other guy, not unless you at least acknowledge that what you're doing is wrong. Ethically wrong, if not legally wrong. Why am I shouted down, and viewed as some kind of freak, every time I've asked these questions? I don't claim to be blameless, but I acknowledge that if I've ever done something of this kind, it has been driven by greed, the chalta hai attitude of the system, NOT due to any entitlement complex, which automatically sets a different set of ethics for my HRA, but not for the politician who's getting the metro to go through the land he owns, and not from the other side of the city, which needs it more.

Simply quoting scale, does not make it right. There are people further down the ladder, who can also quote scale, and in those scales, we, the middle class, would come off looking pretty horrid.

Take off that I am anna t shirt and start some introspection now.  You have to be the change you want, and stop looking for a god, ( or god like systems) to fix your problems in one fell swoop.  

6 comments:

crypticrow said...

and i agree with each and every word here :) it will take a lot more for people to introspect and even more to actually do something about it after the search within.

Gunjan said...

And probably if we can change our own attitude towards such "common" greed, the society can be a better place. Imagine how one would feel when your own children Question these unethical deeds.

saud said...

My My! How I wish I could find more such people around me;-)

Tess said...

@kal - lets hope it happens! Was pleasantly surprised to see at least one person mention the introspection..

@Gunjan - yes, its a lot of hard work, but the change does need to begin. Its ok if we don't hit 100% sainthood, i guess no one ever can. But what I've found alarming is out wierd entitlement complex - I'm salaried, so I'm screwed, plus the amounts are 'small' hence I'm allowed to do this - EVEN ETHICICALLY. If we were at least embarrassed maybe we'd do it less..

@saud - welcome back! do you want them around you to make fun of them, or to add your 2 annas worth? ;)

saud said...

Dear, I wouldn't mind the good banter :-)
and one Anna is enough, do you really want me to add another? I'm trying to shed a few pounds though ;-)

Tess said...

@saud - he he, I guess one is enough for now, of course if you're giving out the pounds in pennies, I'd look forward to your 2 pence ;)