Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Age of Kali - William Dalrymple

Its a collection of essays. That these are essays and not a single topic book, is one thing I missed realizing in the beginning. I kept searching for a unifying theme and continuity and would have saved myself the useless search if I'd read the back cover to start with.

For the remaining part, I'd say the first few essays on the Bimaru states were rather bleak. Maybe these were targeted at a western audience, for myself I can't say I learnt,  the sad state of affairs is well know, and couldn't find many insights.

The remaining few essays, specially the one on the island of reunion were rather more interesting. Also the ones on Pakistan.

Overall not bad, although perhaps it can be read selectively.

4 comments:

quaintkal said...

have you read any of his other books? my favourite remains 'city of djinns' :)

Tess said...

oh yes, that had been the first, which had made me a fan of his style of writing.

Was in fact thinking of picking it up and browsing through it again! :)

Sum said...

Nice blog.... Liked the crisp reviews of so many books...
Come drop in regularly for updates...

Tess said...

@sum - thanks!