Thursday, September 09, 2010

Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse

Was ok, a bit too intellectual for my taste, and I'm not quite sure what it was supposed to mean.

A young man in the times of Budhdha, goes out to explore , hmm what ? the meaning of life perhaps. He goes through the circle of life, embracing ascetism, hedonism, sex, knowledge at various stages. And at the end where does that finally leave him? I'm not quite sure.

This is the third nobel prize winning book that I've read and not liked, and I think I'm seeing a pattern here now - they all tend to be shortish books, where not much "happens" in terms of action. There are passages which are supposed to mean something - and they seem to scream quite loudly that they *mean* something, however they go wayyyy over my head.

And after reading them, I get the distinct feeling that I wasted my time.

Note to self - avoid nobel prize winning works in the future.

3 comments:

muddleglum said...

Heh!

I understand, Tess, I often have the same problem with American books that win the Pulitzer prize. Of course, if one wants to communicate with only a select in-group, then its fine with me. I'll just look for well-written books that communicate to a larger circle—I have enough trouble communicating to want to be influenced toward a select group I'll never be in.

Glad to see you posting (encourage, encourage, but, please don't think its push, push!)

Tess said...

yep, i can't be bothered to make an effort to understand the deep intellectual stuff. there's enough interesting books that communicate to a circle that I'm part of!

Niranjan said...

He..he I wonder how I missed this post earlier. You see, it isn't easy to scream when you have nothing to scream about. That is why the authors are rewarded :-) Don't they remind you of those high (and yet higher) senior management gurus and their 'Management-Talks'?