Saturday, March 13, 2010

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset

Loved both the movies! Its kind of hard to nail down the genre, I guess romantic comedy.. hmm comedy? perhaps not. Found it described as a drama somewhere on the net.. drama ?

At any rate, the story is probably the easiest to state , a guy and a girl meet and stroll all over a city ( vienna in the first one, and paris in the second) and talk. And I guess thats all the movie shows.

But what makes a movie where the two characters just talk, so engrossing? I don't know, somehow the things they talk about, the pauses, the whole subtle tension , of time, of attraction, of uncertainity... It just struck a chord.

Definitely worth a watch. Its like evesdropping into your own brain.

3 comments:

Anantha said...

Tess,

I love these two movies too. I have never gotten bored of watching them again and again.

'But what makes a movie where the two characters just talk, so engrossing? I don't know, somehow the things they talk about, the pauses, the whole subtle tension , of time, of attraction, of uncertainity... It just struck a chord' - I totally agree with you.

To add to that, sharing a great on screen chemistry, both Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy look so endearing in both the movies.

There are naive scenes that make the movie work for me. In 'Before Sunrise' - the scene in which Jesses and Celine listen to the same tape in that music store... The restaurent scence where they call up their friends...
In 'Before Sunset', The tango they start spontaneously on the road, the final scene where Julie Delpy enacts Nina Simone... I can go on and on...

Hats off to Richard Linklater for making such adorable movies..

Btw, did u knw Ethan Hawke has penned two novels too. I have read 'Ash Wednesday' (his second novel) I liked it. Read it.. it has a nice screenplay'ish treatment to the whole novel.

Tess said...

@Anantha - yep the chemistry is lovely too! Thanks for the reco on the book, will keep a watch out for it!

veena said...

hey i must watch these too. Unfortunately bigflix does not seem to have these in their collection