Wednesday, December 30, 2009

3 idiots

was quite enjoyed.

To start with, its not really based on 5 point someone. It just picks some characters and settings from it, very loosely at that, and pretty much has a separate thrust, pitch and story. 2 college friends go looking for their third friend, and a lot of the story is in flash back of their college days.

Now that that part is out of the way, lets move on to the movie. Its definitely funny, and thats a large part of whats going for it. Even tho its loudly slapstick, in your face, it is nevertheless enjoyable. Various scenes are hilarious and brilliant in isolation. And for some I suppose, it will also evoke a sense of nostalgia for their college days. Not much for me tho.

However when we string it together, I wouldn't say its necessarily very even in pace, and specially the second half, has some very dragged out sequences. The baby scene comes to mind as a particularly lousy one,  and yes thats even after discounting the fact that sequences of women screaming and giving birth put me off very firmly. And actually keeping in mind the rather over the top tone of the movie, its no suprise that its got rather a fair share of over acting and preachiness. As another complaint, couldn't they really find 3 young guys to play the parts??

So yes, all in all, I'm not sure you can give it full marks on any cinematic parameters, however in terms of good old entertainment, its a must watch.

ps - I used to love Aamir Khan's chocolate looks as I was growing up. I also thought he was a halfway decent actor. But somewhere along the way, he stopped looking cute, and I couldn't find any brillant performances to hold on to. He was brilliant in patches, yes, but I can't think of a single movie, about which I could say, yes this was it. This one perhaps summarises it quite thoroughly, yes he looks cute ( not 18 yes, but still say cutely 30) and in parts he's good. However he overacts quite a bit, and I really think he's been over hyped as an actor. Wonder why I never could see that quite as clearly till now?? Hmmm, must've something to do with his looks.... !

2 comments:

Anantha said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. But one more movie AK plays a student, I swear Im not gonna watch it. I felt he has overacted in few scenes, he even looks confused whether to act nerdy or to look cool in few.
Check out his mannerisms of repetitively yanking the bag-strap and smiling in the class [Machine's definition scene]... come on that looks so synthetic!
btw, I think its the effect of Botox, his face looks fluffy.. :(

It's quite weird that even after so many complaints, I liked this movie. I think it's the magic of Raju Hirani :)

Tess said...

@Anantha - yep quite agree. And I'm getting a little tired of the hype about Aamir's acting, as you said there were many bits looking awfully synthetic or overacting wayyy too much.

But yes all negatives forgiven, because in terms of sheer entertainment, the movie has everything going for it!