Friday, July 17, 2009

Ashaani Sanket - Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay

Started reading the hindi translation purely to while away time, fully expecting to get bored and leave it mid way.

And was rather suprised to find that it held me right up to the end. That was even more surprising, since it was precisely the kind of story I'd have thought I didn't like. A "baaman" family set in a poor village sometime over 60 decades ago. Story is perhaps not describing it accurately. A chronicle of that family, through the months of increasing prices of rice during 1943 perhaps is a more accurate description. The gradual build up from the routine humdrum of village life, to the sense of complete despair is most hauntinly written.

All in all, it was a gripping narration, even if it was a hindi translation. I think I need to pick up more of Mr Bandhopadyay's works.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Your new haircut - really nice :)