Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The bookseller of Kabul

It was a fast depressing read. The usual muslim afghanistan-iran-saudi-burqua story. Yes there's more to the story than the story of the women behind the burqa, but somehow at the end of the day the book did'nt really tell much.

reminded me of "Not without my daughter", "daughters of arabia", "princess" etc. Consistently depressing books all of them. They all evoke the same feeling of calustrophobia, the amazement at how the people could lack even the basics of common sense in the kind of control they seek to exercise. You hope that this is a far away , another religion , another century. But then you look around you, at the good educated middle class boys around you, and you realise, there's very little difference at their core. We're just lucky to be in a different setting, we're not really among people with more common sense.

However, there are few things which get my goat as much as the burqua. usually makes me want to burn up the whole household , the women included, and right to freedom be damned. of course, this in spite of knowing, that in a similar situation, i'd probably be wearing one myself. but it doesn't make me any less angry.

note to self - avoid such books, they just make you mad and don't tell you much .

1 comment:

raindrops said...

I agree, most of these books have predictable story lines and depressing tones. The one that took me by surprise, pleasantly, was A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalen Hosseini. Very much enjoyed that book.