Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dr Strangelove

So I forgive Kubric for the godawful 2001. This one was thoroughly enjoyed. Its a funny, dark movie. And tho it can seem rather technically backward ( after all its 40 years old!) , its acting and dialog leave you no scope for complaint. 

And Peter Sellers is awesome, I didn't even realise it was him in the other roles!

Its a dark comedy on a nuclear war during the old cold war days, but it has a wicked humour, and although the cold war is over, it doesn't take too much of a stetch of imagination , to see the absurdity of the situation and the people. The bodily fluids was amazing, how easily we make fancy explanations rather than accept a problem!

Now for clockwork orange next!


3 comments:

Niranjan said...

Peter Sellers was a great actor. He was irreplaceable as Clouseau, until of course Steve Martin took over. Now though both the Clouseau's are whole lot different, they are very much lovable.

Guruprasad Kini (Guru) said...

This was Kubrick's best, IMHO. Too bad you still went ahead with ACO :|. I warned you.
Peter Sellers is brilliant as always, but I really liked George C. Scott as the war-crazy general.
While you are on the Kubrick trip, watch Spartacus, perhaps Kubrick's only completely Hollywood-ized big production house movie. It is indeed a magnum opus. A sword-and-sandal drama.
Some of his earlier work is promising, though I have managed to watch only The Killing, which was an excellent film noir piece.

Tess said...

@Niranjan - I haven't seen any of the pink panther ones, and in fact I don't think I'd seen any Peter Sellers movies before. Have some catching up to do!

@Guru - It was pretty good, and since I've seen only two others ( hated one, and tolerated another), its an easy choice to make.
I'd seen Spartacus while I was in school, and as far as I remember, quite liked it.
The Killing has been added to todo list :)