Monday, October 06, 2008

A Wednesday.

Saw this one last week, and thanks to the universal recommnedations from almost everyone, shelled out the money to the useless innovative multiplex.

As an aside, there was a time, when I felt really bad that halls were closing down, that people tended to watch movies at home, rather than go to the hall. Now I'm resigned to the fact. There is just no way, no way at all, that the rates are commensurate with the experiance. I think I will increasingly turn to buying CDs and DVDs.

Anyway, back to the movie, it was a good movie as movies go. Good restrained acting by both Naseer and Anupam. As for Jimmy , he's done a good job, but for me he's eye candy, he just needs to be there :)

Yes the last bit of speech was a bit overdone, and could have been better. It also did not help that I guessed what was coming far too early, probably the result of having read too many mystery stories, reading too much into the hen- pecked husband incident, and knowing at some level that for so many ppl to have liked the movie , something like that had to come.

I think it also helps the movie that it has come at a time when there is such a flood of terrorist attacks that even our numbed, wearied senses have been jolted. Almost everywhere you turn, there is a sense of shock and disbelief. More so because I for one, can't quite put my finger on "what" do these people want? What do they get ( apart from the obvious money) by doing this? And then finally after a stage, comes the anger, I don't care what they want. "They" need to go. Period.

And then while we are stewing in our helplessness , along comes this.

I'm not taking anything away from the movie, which I thought was reasonably well made. But I do think that the literal wave of endorsements its got, ( mine included ) has also to do with the timing. Viewed in isolation, as nn and I had discussed, this could have been a great movie, but stopped short at being just a good movie.

3 comments:

Saravanan said...

Hey Tess,

I wrote an article regarding violence. I know you are busy to check my blog. Here is the link:
http://www.engineersfinance.com/blog/2008/10/05/violence-%E2%80%93-obsession/

By Chance, you had visited my blog. Apologies for telling you did not.

harjot said...

you don't even need to to pay for the DVDs, you can download just about any movie almost as soon as it releases. All you need is a steady internet connection and bitTorrent. Download bitTorrent, then download the torrent file for that movie(google for it!) and run it in the evening. When you wake up in the morning you'll have the entire movie on your machine. :)

Tess said...

@saravanan - yes I'd visited it :) Convictions are not easy to give up tho are they?

@harjot - yes yes, some day i'll set it up, for now I just pay for cds dvds and make friends who pay for cds and dvds ;)