Sunday, August 31, 2008

A lifetime of patience.

Spoke to someone after years and years. Had thought a few times about her in these score of years. Convinced myself that "everything must be ok". There's such a nice web of "normalcy" we weave for the benefit of world at large. but so often there's still a private hell to come back to.

My approach in life has always been one of "run". Whenever a problem has come around, my first instinct has always been to give up and run. Over the years I came to recognise it as such, and did try to change.

But when i look around now, i sometimes wonder. Is patiently staying and fighting always the better option? the answer perhaps is blowing in the wind.

6 comments:

veena said...

i think too ofen we are so scared to stand up for our ownselves because we are scared to be different. Collective behaviour without any rationale is what we prefer because we will be able to lose ourselves in the crowd.

Tess said...

hmmm i'm not sure its just that simple.. yes some things stem from a fear of standing out. But often the issues are not that easy to decide.

When is a thing patience/grit/kaleja and not escapism/easy way out? And similarly, is it always that easy to decide whether standing up for ourselves is the better thing to do? I don't know anymore.

Saravanan said...

Patience is a virtue.. It is sometimes very hard to comment on your blog.. Too many implications.. But I love reading your short scribbles..

Tess said...

@Saravanan - thanks! But then such is life isn't it, lots of different implications in different situations. :)

Sonia said...

I have always been the 'fight it out' types. There is a thrill in getting it even if it was useless in the end. But yeh the devastation after a failure is another story altogether. So I too wonder..

I guess the choice is not whether to run/fight. I think as Lewis Carol puts it - One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter".

Tess said...

@Sonia - I think you've put it perfectly!