Sunday, April 06, 2008

Gaban - Premchand

Just finished the book, and I really liked it.

I haven't read much in hindi, mostly because I never I grew up in very Angrezi environment - english newspaper, english movies, english medium school. Although papa waxed eloquent about hindi, and never quite forgave me for not taking it beyond 8th standard, but thats where things were. Read assorted short stories now and again, and perhaps a novel or two before, but never really picked up the proper hindi environment.

Something I'm trying to remedy now. And this was a pleasant beginning. It was a well written story, was scared that it might be too moralising or full of social issues sans story, but I found it just right. A good story, well written, with just the right mix of the influence of the times. The last 3-4 pages were a bit of a let down, but I guess thats ok.

Now back to completing the short stories which i had left midway.

4 comments:

raindrops said...

oh, its like tumne mere muh ki baat cheen li hai! I have been meaning to read something in hindi for a while now. Just haven't laid my hands on anything yet. Will look out for your recommendation now!

Tess said...

:) if you lay your hands on something you enjoy let me know as well. I'm not really aware of the authors and really would like to swap notes!

raindrops said...

will definitely do!

Meena said...

Premchand's stories are written in
the finest style which impresses everyone.although hindi is not my favorite subject, you can expect something interesting from hindi novels instead of listening to teachers dragging on with boring stuff. Namak ka
daroga
is a fine example of corruption during british rule.