Monday, March 10, 2008

The Unwaba Revelations

Some background first - as a genre, this is something I've never liked. The fantasy/ whatever one. I've specially disliked the details of mammoth books like Lord of the Rings, its endless detailing and creating of an alternative reality to do the same done to death good-vs-evil. With imaginary species and silly goals like throwing the ring down the river of fire.

Nevertheless, I loved the first of this trilogy - The Simoquin Prophesies. And I quite liked the second one too. The humour was delicious, specially the references to things typically indian. The story itself was rather interesting, and it was good to see that by the second book, the easy slotting of good and evil itself had blurred.

But I guess it was too good to last. I was bitterly disappointed by the third book - the unwaba revelations. There was such an awful long description of a stupid meaningless battle right in the beginning that I almost left the book mid way, and thats saying a lot. Somehow I fast forwarded past that, and it got slightly better as it went ahead. But overall it was nowhere close to the first two, not half as funny - and as far as I was concerned that meant it had pretty much lost its charm.

2 comments:

Guruprasad Kini (Guru) said...

Well, I am reading it and (I think) I have finished the long boring battle part. I quite enjoyed the battle description. But I hope I didn't speak too soon :)

Tess said...

Thats good then, there is hope yet for Samit! :)