Sunday, January 20, 2008

Taare Zameen Par.

Saw the much hyped "Taare Zameen Par" yesterday. And I must say I was a rather disappointed. Perhaps it was a case of too much hype, with at least 20 people having told me that it was an amazing movie that I must watch.

So after much waiting we finally caught it on PVR ( yes the boycott PVR andolan, is currently suspended) The theme and the idea behind the movie is something I really liked. The fact that the ordinary and the little out of the ordinary (even if its not quite the "extra ordinary") is part of normal life. The fact that not everyone has to be a winner. The fact that schools can often become obsessed about marks and nothing else. And of course the quote which I'd mentioned few days back as well- they also serve who only stand and wait.

However that being said, I do think that even if I agreed with everything the movie was trying to say, I didn't quite like the way it was said. Yes, it was too "mainstream" for my taste. The first half dragged. There were too many meaningless songs. There are no excuses for the pompous dialogues in the second half by Aamir Khan. There are no excuses for the caricatured characters, and none for the contrived scenes dripping with emotion.

And since you have to make this for the "masses" , at the end of the day you can't really stay true to your flagship dialogue - every child is special. Because vindication only came in the movie for the excellent painter, who eventually learned to write as expected, - not the ordinary-special child who simply would never make the cover of the school mag.

No comments: