Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fermat's Enigma

Just finished the book by Simon Singh couple of days back, and it totally lived up to its advance publicity! I hadn't thought that a book about Maths could be written so well, keeping up the pace almost of a thriller, but ensuring that the content stayed about mathematicians and their stories and no inanities. Recommended reading for anywone who's ever loved Maths ( like me!) and then fallen from grace :)

Luckily there was no electricity most of the day yesterday, so I didn't feed my usual tv addiction. Instead I completed Sphere by Michael Crichton which was also a pretty decent read. This one fell in the -sort-of-sci-fi-thriller genre. Considering that I'd seen the movie already, and knew the "answer" right when I started, it was well written enough to hold interest till the end. Although reading it, one could see that it was almost written to be made into a movie!

Hmm lets see what I can lay my hands on next..

1 comment:

Guruprasad Kini (Guru) said...

Sphere is Crichton's best novel, IMHO. I remember being lost in sci-fi thoughts for days after reading it (that was in college).
Watch the movie too: it is very loyal to the book (a rarity) but has an all-star cast (Samuel L. Jackson, Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone).
And read Singh's "Code Book". If you have had any interest in Cryptography (and Maths, of course) - this is a wonderful read (better than Femat's Engima I would say). If you never had any interest in Cryptography, then this is the book that will make you fall in love with it!